20051022

The Chicken and the Egg

There's an article by John C. Dvorak about how the media has a pro-Apple Computers Bias. I find this interesting in a lot of ways, probably because I've always wished I could make the switch back to a Mac. But you know what's really interesting about all this? Dvorak says "With 90 percent of the mainstream (computer) writers being Mac users, what would you expect?" He takes it from the point of view that mainstream writers happen to use Macs. I know lots of aspiring writers, though (although I don't know anyone who wants to write computer articles other than me). And none of us use Macs. So, what I'm taking away from this article isn't that mainstream writers have a Pro-Apple bias. Rather, if I'm going to be a successful writer, I'm going to have to get a Mac. Dvorak just put the egg before the chicken. Or vice versa, depending on which way you see it.

2 comments:

GLacharity said...

I'm still using my Windows - even after witnessing my roommate's awesome Apple computer, which seemed much better. I think some of us are cursed to stick to Microsoft - or too lazy to switch it up.

Anonymous said...

Dear Nephew,
Forget your email addy, so I'm communicating through a comment.
Have you ever heard of Wayfaring Strangers? I forget your exact musical taste but they get high praise at http://eightstrings.blogspot.com/
and I thought you might want to check them out
Love
Aunt D