20050407

High Noon

now playing: Andrew Peterson can seriously give me goosebumps. Especially in the song "High Noon." Easily the coolest "Jesus conquering sin" analogy I've ever heard. Also, it's in dadgad, I have chords if you want them. I like this song so much, I'm going to share the first verse with you guys.

High noon in the valley of the shadow
When the deep of the valley was bright
When the mouth of the tomb shouted,
"Glory, the groom is alive"
So long, you wages of sin go on,
Don't you come back again
I've been raised and redeemed;
You've lost all your sting
To the victor of the battle at
High noon in the valley
In the valley of the shadow


buy this guy's albums!


So, it's been a while, i guess you could say. In fact, it's been so long that I'd wager no one will check this. Hehehe... we'll see how it goes. Anyway, I'm back for a while... back to the land of thinking i have something to say to the world, even if it's small and pointless. Heck, everyone else gets to have a platform, why not this kid? Wait! You're not supposed to answer that.

A quick side paragraph about grammar and composition.

First, a note about Satan, based out of something I've observed a lot lately. This may come as a surprise to some people, but... I'm pretty sure Satan—if he's even aware of it— isn't insulted when you write his name without a capital on it. In fact, I think it takes more time to conciously think about lowercasing it than is healthily spent on the topic. Satan doesn't really care if you violate the rules of the English language because you don't like him. So, how's about we just follow the rules of ENGLISH and keep the exceptions for meaningful things? Capitals on proper nouns.

Also, while we're chatting about grammar and composition, excessive use of exclamation marks doesn't help your writing. It makes it seem like you're self-obsessed to the point of exclaiming everything you say. For example:

I went to the beach today! It was great! I walked in sandals! My reef sandals are pretty well the best I know of! This one time, I got hurt at the beach! But, I didn't get hurt today! Yippee skippee!

Now, did any of those sentences stand out from the rest? No. Why? Because when you emphasize everything, you emphasize nothing.

So, that's it for my grammar lesson for today.



In other news, last time I wrote, I stated... " I think I'm going for a bit of a road trip. It should be awesome. I'll follow up and let you guys know how it goes..." It's funny how you say something, and people really hold you to it. I can think of a few people who have been waiting to read me at least say something about the whole thing. I'm prepared to make a statement. It won't be as elaborate as the ones I usually make on behalf of my little brother (who, by the way, is dating that girl again. Remember, back when I issued the retraction? For the first time ever, I'm retracting a retraction). I did go on my trip. I went to the great state of West Virginia. It was a fantastic trip, although the driving was a little scary at times. I had a great time visiting friends. Oh, and also, I guess mentioning (for those of you who haven't already either heard it "through the grapevine" or seen it on my face) the fact that there's this girl down there that I'm crazy about could be relevant. Yeah. Probably. Hence Luke's comment on my last post. It's not a long distance relationship, though. It's a distance challenged relationship. :-) She's great, and she's also reading this, going "Gosh Mackay!" so I think I'll leave at that. Suffice it to say, if you bump into me and I look giddy and slightly mournful all at once, you know why.

Alright, i think that pretty well covers my return to blogging. You know what's interesting about blogging? There's supposed to be this element of commentary on web sites that one is visiting. Hmm... hopefully I'll have some comment in that form for you guys... there's a lot of stuff I'd like to get others thoughts on. So, help me out.

I'm done for now. Keep it real.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I go with you and buy a camera and then you blog and then there is no pictures , so then I wonder if you were a cheap scottsman and returned them for some chicken's with large talons?? I want photos , you know the email address.- Big Jon

Todd said...

Yah! He's back! Finally blogging again! And with something to say! Send me the chords to the song post haste, and for crying out loud start writing stuff yourself! (As for the grammar lesson, its pretty much the best I know of :) Good to hear your voice again my friend.

Anonymous said...

Andy,

You may of left blogging for a while but there are some of us who read your blogs quite regularily...You are a very deep person and very wise and I enjoy reading what you have to say and it makes sense. You open my eyes a lot of the time to seeing God in a new way, in a new angle. Thanks for that.

Take care

rebecca said...

Gosh Mackay! (I said that just for you.) But, I'm glad that you're blogging again! I must admit to being one of those who checks your blog repeatedly, as if I don't communicate with you ever! You can road trip any time! As long as it's here to West Virginia! :) Also, I agree with Todd's comment on writing stuff yourself! That's all! Sorry, I couldn't help it with the exclamation marks after that blog....

Anonymous said...

Hey Mack
so uh, welcome back hosehead. so i have a question. why did you use the term "crazy about"? i mean, does she literally drive you crazy,as in annoy you? or is it that after being around her you had no way of staying sane? or maybe you're a stalker? i mean, the phrase you used is sort of ambiguous don't ya think? oh...and thinks for retracting that retraction, and i have to say, moron, that i check your blog DAILY and sometimes more than once a day in hopes that you'll have posted something. so thanks for that, and for being a pretty awesome big bro.

Anonymous said...

from thesaurus.com: affectionate, all over, attached, big, big for, caring, crazy about, crazy for, crazy over, dear, devoted, doting, fond, friendly, huggy, kind, lovey-dovey, loving, mushy, nutty about, partial, soft on, sympathetic, tender, warm, warm-hearted,aphrodisiac, ardent, attached, doting, enamored, fond, in love, infatuated, lovesick, lovey-dovey, loving, romantic, sweet for, sweet on, tender
If you still don't get it, Matt, think you and Heather. ;-D

Anonymous said...

hey mr (or ms.) nonymous. what's with the lack of a name? also, thankyou for that, while i was clearly being facetious, you just gave me a whole lot of fun synonyms. like "sweet on". that's swell and i'm just keen to use it. :) anywho, thankyou for that, it provided me with a smile.

Anonymous said...

hey mr (or ms.) nonymous. what's with the lack of a name? also, thankyou for that, while i was clearly being facetious, you just gave me a whole lot of fun synonyms. like "sweet on". that's swell and i'm just keen to use it. :) anywho, thankyou for that, it provided me with a smile.

andrew said...

Wow, I don't think I've ever had a post with 8 comments - even if one of them is repeat 'cause mattymac doesn't know how to use a computer. Anyway, I'm glad to be back. Oh, also, Matt... if you can't figure out who anonymous is, you're a lousy softball player... er, um... detective. Anyway... thanks for the warm welcome back everyone!

S.D. Smith said...

I thought you were talking about me in your blog until you mentioned some girl...

I affirm your grammerical postulations and agree with you about Satan, even to the point of not capitolizing the divine pronouns...

I worship you and your bloginess...