20050910

a concert

now playing: Notre Dame 14 \ Michigan 3. 4th quarter, 14:19 to go. My fiancee is en route to go see our team play live. Lucky... speaking of napoleon dynamite... check out the Utah State Fair page for 8 ads Napoleon and Pedro did for them. Sweet! The real question is, why didn't Idaho think of that?

So, this week I have been quite sick. I missed three days of work. I still haven't recovered. In the midst of all that, Derek Webb came to Canada on Tuesday. He apparently has been to Canada one other time, years and years ago, with Caedmons where they crossed at Niagara Falls, drove for 20 minutes, played a show, drove back across the border and that was that. There was no way I was going to miss the chance to see him in the True North Strong and Free. Especially not when tickets were only $10. Remember that fact... cause all of you will wish you had gone by the time we get done here...

So, we got to tyndale an hour and a half early. Matty went and found a bunch of people he knew, whilest I, with the rest of the crew, went for a walk. We got back at around 7:25. They opened the doors at 7:30, and we were amongst the first in. Funny fact: no one wanted to sit front row. So, for 10 bucks a ticket, we got to sit front row at a derek webb concert. There ended up being maybe 200 people... It was totally phenomenal. He played every song I would've listed if you said "Andrew, if you ever got to hear Derek Webb live, what songs would you most want him to play?" Except maybe
Take to the World from She Must and Shall Go Free. But everythng else. It was awesome. I was going to post pictures, but blogger is not cooperating. I'm a little frustrated, but I can at least look at the pictures.

So, final summary: Derek Webb live is like hanging out in someone's livingroom while they play some songs and talk about stuff that is heavy on their hearts. He was very honest and sincere, and plays like a phenom. One dude... one guitar... one phenomenal concert.

4 comments:

Josiah said...

Andrew .:.

I'm with you, DW live is amazing. I saw him for the 1st time in Chicago a few months ago. He had a full band along for that concert and it was amazing. Sandra M. opened for him and played with the band too. I know I would enjoy the true solo show as well. He played in Lexington, KY (about 5 hrs away) tonight. I thought about going... but couldn't swing it.

Did he teach/talk more than he played? At the concert I was at he only talked for about 20 min. I was expecting more.

Anonymous said...

whos derek webb?

andrew said...

He only talked for about 20 minutes during our concert too... he made comments about how he didn't want to spend time talking about what his songs meant anymore, which I thought was interesting... he was supposedly heavy into teaching more than singing for a while. I was expecting more too, but the music was so good... I sure didn't feel cheated. :-)

CJH said...

send me some pics, i'll host em for ya brotha!

meg and i really wished we could have gone, it would have been incredible.