20060121

blogging and relationships

In the background: sens and leafs... yep, looks like another disappointing night for the leafs. argh.

On Blogging

Every once
in a while, my little brother will make a point of saying, in my hearing, "Gonna check a blog I really like... nope, hasn't updated... you know who that is? That's right, you jerk." Here's the thing, he's right. I'm not at all as consistent as I ought to be. But, I'm not a good enough writer to have a couple of ideas kicking around that I haven't written about yet. And I'm not funny enough to be able to write about nothing and have you all (if there is a you all) think it's great. Do I look like Kramer? I don't think so. So, I'm sorry. I'd say that I'll try to be more regular, but I'm just not sure that I'll be effective at it, and as I learned from the Transporter (or maybe from the Bible), you shouldn't make promises you can't keep.

On Relationships


I thought that this article on Christianitytoday.com was really a funny, honest look at the state of singleness and dating in Christianity. Here's a quote for you:

I have myriad questions that confuse the issue when I meet a prospective date. How do I know if the cute girl in the grocery store is a Christian? Should I date someone in my Bible study or my church given the possible messiness if we break up? How do we reconcile differing beliefs within a shared faith? On top of all this mounting confusion, we add the fact that we aren't just looking for a good time but are hoping to find "the one." Before we know it, we're not just talking about someone to get coffee with but considering if this person we've spoken to twice could be a good spouse and parent. It's as if I should be handing out twelve-page applications and requiring dental exams.

It is a confusing issue, I think, as Christians. It's an incredible relief when you get past the stage he describes above. But, for my single friends, I want you to know that I'm with you, and we non-singles do remember how rough it was.

and I'm done.

1 comment:

Matthew said...

You know, if you really want to be more regular you should try a bit of punjabi saag...although that might make you far too regular.