20060108

brilliant article; where have I been?

First and foremost, read this article at Christianity Today.com. I believe that this is the first purely artistic look at whether or not Narnia should've been commercialized. I'm almost embarrassed that I never thought of it from this perspective. I like to talk about art for art's sake, but this article proves that I never really thought it through as far as movies and art go. I'm not sold on the idea that Narnia shouldn't have been moviefied, but I will make sure that my kids (if I'm ever so lucky) are well-versed in the books before they ever see the movies.

In other news: I guess I might as well say it for all to read: Rebecca and I have made it our intention to make our residence in West Virginia when we're married. We're excited... it's only 132 days--I remember back when it was 280! I got to spend a week with Rebecca and her family over Christmas... it was truly a blast, and a great reminder of how blessed I am to be marrying such a great girl.

So, happy new year to all. May 2006 be a year that we all draw closer to God and learn better what it means to follow Him whole-heartedly.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

you can't spell. Also where am I? I'm not in your blog and I'd be more in portent then youse

Anonymous said...

great article as well.

Anonymous said...

"When everything fun and magical is turned into something for sale, the strip's world is diminished." So Watterson is giving his Calvin and Hobbes books away for free?

Anonymous said...

If you had done your research, you would note that The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe was put out as a movie YEARS ago, in a more modest and special-effect free version! Why make such a big deal over making a movie of a book. Some of us can take enough from paper, but others need a visual to stimulate the mind. Why not consider that people who see the movie may now want to read the book, and how knows..maybe devour the entire series. stop limiting the ways that God can work!

JonnyMac said...

Jeez who peed in anonymous's cornflakes????

Anonymous said...

that's why I hate anonymous comments, if we're going to say something we should be willing to put our name to it.
The anonymous aunt

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot to say - I haven't seen the BBC version for some years (in fact I might have watched it with you), but I had a friend say that she thought the character development for Aslan was better in the BBC version - that it was easier to see why Lucy and her sister would weep over his death - I guess I need to pull it out and watch it sometime. I realize that has nothing to do with the current discussion, but you must give doddering old aunts room for digression,
The still anonymous aunt (dropping clues wherever she goes)