20061205

Why can't you spell? (part one)

I'm thinking about doing this as a recurring thing. Have you ever been surfing the web, reading news on a reputable site (we're talking CNN, Foxnews, or for sports, Foxsports, ESPN, etc.), and come across a really blatant spelling or word-use error? Happens all the time! Drives me nuts. Of course, I've had my fair share of spelling errors, and I realize that by posting this, I'm opening myself up to criticism, but I feel like I owe it to the world to try to use my powers for awesome.

Today on ESPN.com, I read the following:

"I think [the executive committee was] very comfortable with Jim as a perspective owner and he's going to try and make it work in Pittsburgh, but he's going to need some help in terms of a new building," Bettman added.

Perspective owner. Prospective owner. I guess I can see the similarity, but seriously, the definitions are pretty different. Yeah, seriously.

5 comments:

Todd said...

At least he didn't say 'Batman' instead of 'Bettman'. I'm with ya Mack, this world needs a bonifide spelling/grammar Guru to take on these top dogs! Goodspeed!

Anonymous said...

Good catch! You make your nitpicking mother proud. :-D

Jerry said...

Sometimes being an English major is a curse. Regular reading becomes tainted by your proofreading skills and you cannot go more than 2 paragraphs without noticing a grammatical, syntax, or spelling error...

Jerry said...

YOU'RE SLACKIN' OFF AGAIN MACK!

Merry Christmas! :P

Betsy said...

so have you read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves ?