20040720

blogger gets an update

now playing: everything i hate // smalltown poets
 
I want to start out by pointing out that this is the first time that I've used Blogger's fancy shmancy text editor. If you look back through history, you'll note that AndyMack had colour back when no one else had colour. Now, I have to admit, it wasn't quite as easy to use as this. However. If you read the source code, you'll find that my previous method produced some very decent HTML. Google's (yes, google is the owner of blogger) method, on the other hand, creates some really gross looking code. However, it is a WYSIWYG system (what you see is what you get, duh!) and as far as that goes, it does a pretty good job. So, kudos to google. Six times a Google is? Six google? Nailed it! 

Secondly, I want to point out that... aw crap, there goes the kudos, look at the difference in the text style, and all I did was hit return. C'mon guys!
 
Ok, now I think I've got it. How's that look? Good stuff. Anyway, as I was going to say, I've decided that Blogger's default text size is WAY too big. I wouldn't have thought that a month ago, but since I started working with book layouts, I've realized that you really don't need super huge text, all you need is an easy to read layout. I think I have that. Anyway, there's some snooty book stuff for you all. I now believe that the printed word will never die.  Also, for those who care about how the html code for this is actually produced — all two of you — it appears that the wysiwyg engine doesn't end the span command with the /span until the return key is hit, which then inserts however many /span commands are necessary to close off any new style moves opened within the paragraph. It'd be easier to close each off when a new one started, although it might come at the expense of... wait, no it wouldn't. This is a dumb implementation.
 
Alright, I'm sure I wanted to do more than critique Blogger's new text editor, but I guess that as far as this post goes, what you see is what you get. Gotta confess, i love the text colour changing abilities. But it cheapens the hours of work I put into getting 10 different colours to work consistently for me back in the day. I guess it's not all about me.
 
Okay, I'm gonna go, but to those people who got e-coli from uncooked meat, the moral of the story is - Salisbury Steak isn't meant to be raw! DUH.
 

1 comment:

andrew said...

Just to comment, upon posting the aforeread blurb, it appears the blogger system rechecked all the html tags it had inserted and fixed it. So, yeah, where I said that they had screwed up the text, they fixed it. Problem is, that means it's not really wysiwyg, it's more wysiwyg as long as our confusing buttons don't mess you up. Alright, i'm done now.