20060922

Three Posts in Four Days?

So, I was on the phone with my mom, and I said "You know, I think I'm going to write another blog post. I have no idea what I'll write it about, but I'm going to do it." And now, you're reading that blog post. And, I still mostly don't have any idea what to write about, but I've found some links for you, my enlightened--and about to me more enlightened--reader.

First up, we have a Calvinism story at Christianitytoday.com. An interesting little write-up on the new sensation that's sweeping the nation. Or something. It's an interesting article, highlighting (and low-lighting) what this increased return to "Reformed Doctrines of Grace" generally entails. And there's a pretty good balance in what they say... the article closes on a high note (surprisingly... upbeat!). Here's a quote for you:

...the young Calvinists value theological systems far less than God and his Word. Whatever the cultural factors, many Calvinist converts respond to hallmark passages like Romans 9 and Ephesians 1. "I really don't like to raise any banner of Calvinism or Reformed theology," said Eric Lonergan, a 23-year-old University of Minnesota graduate. "Those are just terms. I just like to look at the Word and let it speak for itself."

I really hope that's a general charateristic of the new Calvinist movement. I've certainly seen where I have been inclined to be completely ungracious with my doctrine, and I've seen where others, older, more experienced, have been completely ungracious with theirs. But, hopefully we will be gracious as well as interested in doctrine. At the very end, Josh "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" Harris says "If you really understand Reformed theology, we should all just sit around shaking our heads going, 'It's unbelievable. Why would God choose any of us?'" Well said.

And then, for something a little lighter, here's a pretty great little introduction to illustration work from Lynn Johnston and her staff. Neat to see how they do their stuff. A lot of work goes into your ten seconds of reading enjoyment!

That's all for now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting again it helps us feel connected.
As for the doctrines of grace, I would give a kings ransom if one of the most important people in my life could grab hold of the concept of perseverance of the saints and God's power to bring all His chosen sheep safely into His kingdom.

AD