20070214

Valentines Day

I have not always been a big fan of this day. I've had an on-off relationship with it. At times I've not liked the principle of it, as though we need a day to force us to appreciate our significant others. It seemed fake to me. Of course, then there were the times when I hated it for being a day focused on exclusive relationships: as a bitter, single man, I didn't like that the whole world... or North America, anyway, stopped to emphasize our lack for a whole day.

Now I'm married. I love my wife, and try to make sure that I show her that every day. So, Valentines Day approached, and I thought a little bit about it. And you know, I decided to do something for her, in the spirit of the day. There's nothing wrong with a tradition of making especially sure, this one day of the year, that your loved one knows they are your loved one.

So, single folks, you're fine. You don't need a relationship, and that's cool.

Dating folks, do something for your SO. I mean, why not? Sure it's not spontaneous, it's expected, whatever... there's nothing wrong with the tradition of celebrating people's birthdays, similarly, there's nothing wrong with celebrating your relationship on this day.

Married folks... men especially, why not go out of your way to show your wife that you love her? I mean... we men, we don't always do so well at the emotional side of things. So, take this day and make it clear to your wife how important she is to you.

And Valentines Day Abstainers, I get it. I can see where you're coming from. But, try not to post/shout any tirades about it unless you're really going to stick to your guns. Cause, otherwise, you may have to post/shout a retraction... maybe not next year, or the year after that, but eventually.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drewfuss!

I was thinking similarly to you today. I remeber just a few years ago a very bitter Anti-Valentine's party at the Covert's on Friday the 13th. Crazy how perspectives change....

Shauna

Anonymous said...

yknow speaking as a single dude, i was thinking about posting an anti-v-day tirade on my blog. but you raise some good points. thanks for being rational, as usual. see ya in like a month bro!

Jerry said...

I must say Mack, considering the brief portions of our shared history, I really enjoyed this post.

Perspective is a wonderful thing, ain't it?

Anonymous said...

If every man was married to a princess, like you happen to be, then every man would celebrate "V-day" everyday. Well, that's the way it looks from here.

keep pontificating,
Daddy's Girl's dad