20051113

pedestrians first

Now playing: Vikings at Giants. 2nd quarter. Blazing headache. Dad has one too... must be an atmospheric thing. Or a coincidence. Nah.

Belleville is an interesting little town -- It's not at all well conceived and isn't helped by the fact that a river runs through it. But, there are a lot of pedestrians walking around Belleville, and I think that's a good thing. I mean, who doesn't want to live in a city that is relatively safe for kids to walk around in? However, drivers tend to be dangerous. I mostly realized this when I clued in to the fact that I tend to drive a little quicker than ideal through residential areas. You start to realize that soccer moms give really great dirty looks.

So, yesterday I made a point of slowing down for pedestrians, and chilling out on the gas pedal in residential areas. You know, it didn't consume a lot of time (ten seconds isn't going to kill anyone), and people were able to cross roads and smiled at me even when I stopped to let them pass.

Moral of the story: don't mess with soccer moms. And, make life safe for pedestrians.

3 comments:

Todd said...

Does this mean i won't have to close my eyes at intersections anymore?

Kim said...

For Calgary being a "friendly city", people in cars are downright rude when pedestrians are crossing. I had a guy rev his engine when I took more than 10 seconds to cross the road.

Babeineau said...

soccer moms are scary. Be careful.