20051129

You've got to be kidding

So, I was flipping by ABC right at the end of their "Nightly News" broadcast. They were talking about whether the government could call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree. The reporter mentioned the "two reindeer rule." The thing was, he didn't seem to be joking. And I thought... what? Two reindeer?

So, I did some research. The best synopsis I found was probably this one: University of Missouri-Kansas City's Doug Linder presents "Exploring Constitutional Law." Turns out, it's totally legit... a public Christmas display is constitutional only if there is a balance of secular and religious symbols. So, you got your manger scene? Make sure you have Rudolph's blinking nose nearby.

I guess what blows my mind is that even people who hate Christianity have to acknowledge the place that it has in the history of civilization. I will grant that some bad things have been done in the name of Christianity, but a lot of incredibly good things have happened in the name of Christianity too. Do we now have to throw out the heritage entirely in order to serve special interest groups desires?

Two reindeer... who knew.

Also, Zach from saved by the bell is joining the cast of Commander in Cheif... how crazy is that?

It's all right, cause I'm saved by the bell...

Maybe they could bring principal Belding on the show, too.

1 comment:

JonnyMac said...

That really thru me off too. At least the Mayor of Boston called it what it is, SILLY!

Hey do you think screech will be on there next. I could really see him as a politician.