20050511

animal crackers

Now playing: don't tell me, the avril and central vac, the mom.

I bought animal crackers. You know, animal crackers—the popular children's snack; predecessor to Goldfish and other gimmicky kids snacks: what were the graham cracker bear things? I totally can't remember. I'm actually presently looking quite forward to enjoying some animal crackers with my tea. Which has now steeped for far too long. One sec. One tip on animal crackers before I move on: don't buy the cheap ones: they all look like mutated bisons. All of them. 'Cept maybe the lion, cause he's skinnier.

So, here's what's been bugging me about my thought processes of late. There is no synthesis. It's not like I don't have a solid grasp on who I am or anything dumb like that, rather I do not think critically and incisively about the events that take place around me or that I read about. I read about the pastor who left the church after the whole political thing blew up in his face and think "Hmm, I wonder what happened in NHL negotiations today." This reveals two things actually. 1. I'm really, really dumb. Nothing happened in NHL negotiations today! Duh, I already
knew that, cause nothing ever happens in NHL negotiations. So, that was just stupid. 2. I've slipped into a dangerous apathy.

If I'm going to be a true Christian—a thinking Christian whose worldview impacts the way he sees the world around him, whose desire is to see change (not necessarily governmental or institutional) and to have an impact, I'm going to have to change that. "'
Awake, O sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine on you.' Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise' (Eph. 5:14-15).

Yeah. So, lets challenge each other as a generation to not fall into the same traps of apathy and self-centeredness that have plagued us for so long. Lets try to have a sphere of awareness that is encompassing, not just obsessed with whether or not the NHL plays hockey this year, or whatever other mundanity may be easy to obsess about.

Welp, I hope that made some sense to someone other than me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay, so first of all, dood. it was teddy grahams. come on! next thing you'll say you don't remember dunkaroos. seriously. secondly, that was deep, and yeah, apathy is dangerous, but with that said, i don't think the NHL is such a bad thing to be concerned about. sure we watch EPL now, but we'd do that anyways. anywho, maybe i'll get through with a phone call one of these nights. love ya bro, peace

Sarah Beth said...

Question: Where did you find these beloved animal crackers? Because I have been looking ever since I spent two weeks with a 3 1/2 year old, and remembered how much I love animal crackers and I can't seem to find them
Thanks,