20040305

cancelled show, venison, and SCO (yep, my title rhymes)

now playing: there's a stirring. cc from my calm // your storm. i think

Wow, I love the now playing line. It totally reminds me to load up my mp3 player when it's not playing. Very useful. It helps that I seldom get tired of my mp3 collection too. (yes, by Canadian law, legal, and even in the states, I own well over 2/3 of my music). Anyway, I digress.

the show at grassroots on tuesday is cancelled. Mr. Arnold didn't feel like he could go ahead with it, so we're not on. That being said... as far as music goes, if I were to describe where I'm at as far as that goes, I'd probably concur with what Micheal Johnston of the Smalltown Poets once said: If any one word could sum it up, it'd be anticipation. Hopefully some stuff will come together over the next little while that could make this whole music thing a lot of fun.

Yep. Venison. Steak to be exact. Brought to me by my good friend Dan. i've never had venison steak before, in fact, the only time I've eaten meat that someone killed was when I got to eat moose in a lasagna. So, this is a new experience for me. But I must say, it rocks most extremely. The only way it'd be better would be if I shot it myself. :-)

I have to say that lately, my interest has been quite captivated by the SCO case. For those who don't know, SCO is a company that bought Unix System V from Novell, who bought it from AT&T. SCO is now claiming that IBM and other companies who helped with the development of LINUX technically were giving away code that according to their UNIX SYS V licensing agreements belonged to Novell, which means that SCO's intellectual property is being infringed upon by EVERYONE WHO EVER USED LINUX. And so, they're suing. First, they sued IBM. Then they sued Novell (who has lines from the purchase contract that basically allow them to say "naw, SCO can't say that" with regard to copyright stuff). Now, they're suing Daimler/Chrysler and autoparts distributer AutoZone for infringinement. Now, I know that seems like a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, but I gotta tell you guys, from everything I've seen and read, the consensus by and large is that this is possibly the most groundless case ever launched in the courts (with the exception of that Mickey D's made me fat case). It's pretty neat to watch the technical side of the case develop. This is probably boringer than anything for most of you, but on the off chance that someone is curious, groklaw.net is a community of open source (of which Linux is a subset) supporters who are legally savvy, and logging their findings with regard to the case. Definitely interesting stuff.

Okay, I've got youth group to plan for, and sleep to catch. Busy weekend ahead. Keep it real, y'all.
for now
_______________ andymack
insert witticism here

No comments: