20061004

The Best Album I've Listened to This Year

I'm frequently afraid of being sucked in by charismatic people. You know, people that are just genuinely nice. You can't trust those people. Just kidding. I had occasion to meet Andrew Osenga this weekend (you can check out Matt's blog for details, if you promise to never call my wife BeccaMack. Geesh). On top of being the only musician I know of that can keep up with a blog, he's a wicked nice guy. Seriously.

On top of meeting Andy, a copy of his album The Morning was purchased for me by Luke the Bruce. And I've listened to it a lot since then. It turns out that Andrew Osenga isn't just a nice guy, he also makes great records. I have officially declared it to be the best album I've listened to this year. And, there have been some good albums... I'd say the closest album to this would be Andrew Peterson's The Far Country. Oh, and that album was recorded primarily in Andrew Osenga's basement, and produced in part by Andy O... so, I guess you could say that Mr. Osenga has shaped the two best records that I've heard this year. How 'bout that?

Seriously, if you get a chance, head over to Andy's website and open the album player... you can hear the whole thing. It's a well crafted, beautiful record. It's a definite rock album, big sounding... not your typical Christian rock album. By which I mean guitar driven without being just a bunch of guitars playing. Does that make sense? Maybe not... It just seems like so often I hear a sheet of guitars on Christian rock albums... instead of choking you with it, Andy uses his incredible guitar skills sparingly... it's just a really cool album.

So, go check it out. And then, if you really like it, buy it. Buy, buy, buy... it's these little, independent guys who need our support... the guys who are actually making good art and struggling to do it.

I'll have more on good art versus bad art later... for now, go listen to Andrew Osenga. I don't think you'll regret it.

2 comments:

Todd said...

This is craziness. Having read the combined blogs of yourself, MattyMac, and Andy O, I smiled to myself and said, those are friends of mine! Osenga mentioned them on his blog! They hung out with Caedmon's! Woah... I supressed a tear, or five. That's great stuff you guys! Rock on.

the t

Anonymous said...

excuse me. i am allowed to call sis whatever i want. well...within reason. and i have to admit, i'm pretty sure i didn't even come up with the name beccamack. i'm rather certain it was gurr that did that. i just happen to like it.