20061004

Fox Feeds the Flock?

So, Christianity Today Online has been featuring some advertising from the new "FoxFaith" film distribution company. And, they have an article up that I think cleverly reveals the advertiser for what they really are (an attempt to make money off the Christian market without actually getting too involved) without putting CT in the awkward position of ticking off one of their advertisers. However, my title is taken from the CT article title... I just added the question mark, because it seemed like the FoxNews thing to do (link to a Jon Stewart Clip at YouTube).

A little background: FoxFaith, with their tagline Movies You Can Believe In, is basically a film distributor that intends to buy movies made for the Christian market and distribute them at a rate of twelve a year, releasing approx. six to theatres and the other six directly to home video. They aren't making movies. They're buying movies that are independently made and arranging distribution.

Here's a quote from the article:

Why is Fox doing this?

Steve Feldstein: It's really simple. We saw an opportunity to fill a need in the marketplace. The Christian market, in terms of filmed entertainment, has been drastically underserved, and we intend to correct that.

In a briefer, clearer sentence, "There was a chance to make money, and we decided to do it." Another quote:

Christians will be happy to hear about FoxFaith, but some cynics would say that Fox is just doing it for the money. How would you respond to that cynical response?

Feldstein: I think, unfortunately, there have been interlopers in the business that weren't committed to it. And to those people I would simply say, watch us.

Here's the thing... maybe I'm just a cynic. In the interview, Mr. Feldstein talks about being all about quality and not quantity, and not letting the agenda be above the art. And yet... and yet... Janette Oak books into movies? I mean, really? I guess I should see one before I critique, but I have doubts that the acting can rise above the writing, and... well, Janette Oak churns out chick lit.
But, this one final quote really settled it for me:

What will determine if this is working, if it's successful?

Feldstein: It's a success already.

Why do you say that?

Feldstein: We've got dedicated FoxFaith fixtures in 1,100 retail outlets that are right in our core demo. So we're already a success with our partners at retail. Everybody wins.

We've got dedicated FoxFaith fixtures in 1,100 retail outlets that are right in our core demo. I don't see anyway that his statement translates to anything other than, "Dang, we's gonna sell us some movies and make us some money."

So, maybe I'm too cynical, but I'm just a little tired of secular interests coming in and preying on the Christian market. These guys aren't interested in making good art for the Christian market. They're interested in preying on parents who are desperate for entertainment for their kids that is safe.

And this comes back to why I think we need to support guys like Andrew Osenga, Andrew Peterson, the Squarepeg Alliance, and people like them in film, art, and your favourite style of music. There are Christians who are making good art. There are Christians who are making good entertainment. Let's support them instead of supporting secular interests trying to infiltrate easy Christian retail markets in order to make easy money with lousy entertainment and art.

2 comments:

S.D. Smith said...

I agree with you. Be afraid. Be very afraid. Be very, very...

Anyway, I am of two minds about it, trying to be less critical of the "Christian" marketplace, trying to see more value and be less of a snob. But it is hard, because there is so much kitschy, tracterian crap. But I am glad there are alternatives to things that are unwholesome. I guess it would be ideal to have wholesomeness and excellence together and as you pointed out, there are people doing that, we just need to find, enjoy and support them and help our kids to be discerning. Discerning not just about what is bad, having our entire discourse on art be something like this: “Harry Potter: bad, Rock and Roll: bad, Left Behind: good” etc. We can do better, and I think it would serve our families’ interests (the Lordship of Christ over al of life, including the arts, as Schaeffer states) to become engaged (without compromise).

S.D. Smith said...

post script

I invite the readers of Ponificus Maximus to come over and comment on my
http://adagiocounty.blogspot.com/2006/10/excepting-art-or-accepting-art-or.html
post on this subject. (I dont know hoe to link). I am interested to hear answers to my question:

"While I agree with F.A.S. above, and see that the absence of art is what is most obvious in our culture, I believe that there are many examples of great, sub-creative art by Christians. What are some of your favorites? Make a comment. Or even mention art that isn't necessarily done by children of God, but by people made in the image of God that is not bent or perverted?"