20061022

Gotta keep those kids safe

Kids are constantly being regulated in schools. I guess I must've lived in the renaissance of something, cause lately all I do is reminisce, but really... can't kids just play? This article from yahoo talks about schools regulating recess. Here's a quote:

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school responsible. Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe.

How does that strike you? I guess I think that there are some elements of contact games that are part of life... including the occasional scraped knee. Is tag a dangerous contact sport? Are parents really this litigious? Or are we just taking better safe than sorry to a ridiculous extreme?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If this is how safe we should be with kids, it makes me wonder how any children survived into adulthood in the first place. They're going to turn them all into pansies! Nice to hear from you Drew,

Godby

Todd said...

I think this sort of thing goes hand in hand with current thought on discipline, and workload for kids. Who writes up these curriculums anyway? I'm pretty sure guys like Whitefield and Owen played football while studying greek or latin. In any case, I'm ranting. My kids are going to learn Greek! Darn it!

Betsy said...

I let a three year old onto the monkey bars are recess on Wednesday. He was actually the ONLY kid at recess at that time. He fell on my face and my nose is sore... we are not cancelling monkey bars because I was stupid. Kids (and their teachers) must learn about consequences...