20061019

Whatever happened to theme songs

Remember how you used to be able to recognize a tv program by it's theme? The A-Team... Full House... Cheers... Mash... Any of the three distinct Boy Meets World themes? (I think it was three... anyone? Bueller? Bueller?) The art of the theme song is no-where near as oft-practiced as it used to be. This article on yahoo talks about the demise of the theme song.

What a shame... I mean, really, are we in such a hurry? I guess there's just something nostalgic about the whole theme song thing. I remember the thrill of hearing Will Smith start his theme to Fresh Prince every Monday as I sat down with my brothers to watch it with a bowl of chips and a glass of pepsi.

Is it legitimate to be nostalgic about something that was only 12-13 years ago? Am I even old enough to be nostalgic? Who knows... but, bring back the theme songs! ... In West Philadelphia, born and raised... Whatever happened to predictability, the milkman, the paperboy, evening t.v. ... to a place where everyone knows your name... When this boy meets world, boy meets world, travelling down this road the we call life...

No comments: