20061023

Christian Business?

Okay, on a personal note, this morning as I went outside to take my wife to work, it was snowing. This is not acceptable! ... So Cold!

So, Christianity Today had an article about the alleged Kinkadian fraud. I'm actually not interested in exploring whether he perpertrated a fraud or not... I'm just not much for his type of art, perhaps because I don't get most visual art, or perhaps not.

I am interested in some of the issues around the edge. I thought the following quote was interesting:
Still, Christians are eager to support businesses they believe will share God with others, said Stephen Christensen, managing director of the Center for Faith and Business at Concordia University in Irvine, California. "Perhaps we would not do our diligence in counting the cost because the business seems like it would be a good way to advance God's kingdom."
Is that good or bad? I'm not a hundred percent sure... I face confusion on this one almost constantly. I purport to be a capitalist. I believe in a free market. So, do I support a business that purports to be run by Christians (ie, Steve's Window Washing, who hypothetically has John 3:16 on his sign) or do I support a business that is the most cost-effective value for the services I'm looking to receive? Similarly, if I'm starting a business, do I bring more glory to God by having John 3:16 on my sign, or by being the best value for the services I render?

2 comments:

Todd said...

both. Flaming good service which is coupled with an unadulterated, clear, reason why: You are so freaking excited about Jesus, his way of doing things, his glory, etc... Though don't come calling about how to fit that on a sign. On the same note, does one invest in the stock market? And if so, what about those particularily risky stocks?

ps. Did you know it always takes me 4 tries before I get this crazy word identification thing correct. Its kinda shaming to a linguist.

andrew said...

Hahaha, Todd, that's hilarious! Of course, ijfyd or phrases like it aren't linguistically obvious anyway.