20061016

E-books

So, Wired News, perennially a favourite of Trivial Pursuit (if you've played the 90's edition, you know what I mean), has a review of Sony's new e-book reader hardware. As one with a vested interest in the future of books, I read it over. Keep in mind that this review was done by a fairly technically minded person (I mean, I suppose you'd have to be to work for Wired, right?) Here's the writer's conclusion:

Having used the device for many hours, I found it to be a comfortable, pleasing way to read, after initial hesitance. And it's a sharp-looking, techno-wow device with a durable feel. Its size, its screen, its general "thingness" were all appealing. But I love the feel, heft and smell of books, the tangible touch of the page, seeing their spines on the shelves.

I'd have to say that if this Technology writer was still pining after books, I imagine the rest of us will be too. And that's a good thing for me!

1 comment:

rebecca said...

well, when you cave and start buying them, make sure you buy them from MSU's bookstore. And of course, you couldn't leave without a Quick Study!