20040205

This Silly Melancholy

Funny how it can be the little things in life that really mess you up. It doesn't even have to be necessarily tangible things, just a sub-par day, coupled with a chance run in, add a little intro/retro-spection, and next thing you know, you've gone all psycho on everything. Or maybe that's just me. But somehow, i imagine that everyone has those days.


However, it's not my intent for all this to be whiny. Cause whining isn't fun. A little self-satisfying sometimes, but certainly not fun. Tonight, I must confess, I'm struck by the impact that sleeping in can have on a day. To quote John Bunyan "He that sleeps is a Loser" (p. 41, Pilgrims Progress). And this morning, I was a loser. Actually, let me be honest, it was the last three mornings running. And the whole thing just dulls one's senses. Not sense of smell or sense of sight (although my eyes are a little bleary... is that a word? I don't know, I can't read it, cause I've been staring at this screen for the last 8 hours), but kind of "spiritual senses". I guess one could probably just call it the Affections, with the Puritans (and my favorite Professor), and probably be talking about the same thing. Diligence (or, digilence to my cell group... sorry guys, i can't read, I'm not going to lie to you) is a great trait to pursue with regard to the affections. Why can't I convince myself to wake up at 615? Mostly because I'm one lazy punk. Even when i KNOW that it's not good for me. It's a Romans 7 thing. A large part of life is spent in Romans 7. I remember a smart man I grew up listening to saying that. And I see that it is true. Which is NOT to say that there isn't growth. If we read 1st John, we see that there HAS to be growth (1 Jn. 3:6). But a large part of life is spent engaged in a struggle to change. 'Cause the old man, he's still living. But, we're putting him to death. That's the meat of life. Couldn't do it on our own, but thankfully we've got a Helper that is Always Greater.

Anyway folks, that's all I've got. Life is good, because God is. Until next time, that's the way I saw it today.
play martin sp+ strings

No comments: